Friday, January 27, 2006

Like she's a Seahawks' fan


Welcome to Fairweather, USA, home of your Super Seahawks. The word is out that Fairweather, USA (also known in some social circles as Seattle) is home to, well, fairweather fans.

I live in this wonderful city filled with (enter your favorite caffeine, grunge music and shitty weather cliché here). Missing from the bunch is just terrible, terrible fans.

You could feel the excitement here in the city last Sunday when the 'Hawks clinched their first Super Bowl since the existence of birds. But this town is loaded with bandwagon jumpers, fairweather fans, and people who cheer, but don't know what the fuck a sea hawk is.

Exhibit A:

Gearing up to watch the NFC Championship game, my roommate (naturally a girl -- sorry to those readers who are women, but on second thought, I probably don't have any of those) asked where I was watching the game. I explained that I preferred to watch alone or with one or two buddies, so we could actually watch the game. She said she was going to a bar and I asked why. She said to watch the game because she was sooooo excited. And on que, she proceeds to ask who is playing. I nearly pulled a Sean Locklear and strangled her ass. And she's not the only one in this town. People have come out of the woodworks to show their support. I like that people are excited, but I would prefer if they knew why they were excited.

Exhibit B:

Where the fuck are the flags? So they're flying a 12th Man flag atop the Space Needle, but aside from that, I've seen none. What happened to folks hanging flags in the window of their home, or small ones from their cars? The support extends to an occasional conversation about the Super Bowl. That's about it. It's only a big deal around here if it's a part of some social scene.

Exhibit C:

(If you think of something good, leave a comment, and it will be added here).


Sure the fans at the games are loud, but outside Qwest Field, they are few and far between. If the Seahawks win XL, I want to see people crying with joy. If they lose, I want to see the same fucking tears.


In other news: Sources have announced that the "K" in Coach Krzyzewski is, in fact, silent.

1 comment:

insomniac said...

Be careful what you wish for. The flipside is Pittsburgh, where the fans are so devoted to their team, it's an obsession. I'm all for supporting your team, but if you're older than 12 and the image of your team losing brings you to tears, you've got a bit of a problem.

Although I will admit it would be kinda cool if the Seahawks won the Super Bowl, and "Lofa" became the most popular name for newborns in the Northwest.