Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Common ways to piss off your significant other

It's hard work being a sports fan. We have to watch TV, know all the players' names and sound educated when giving an out-of-towner a scouting report on Travis Ishikawa (whose Achilles heel is swinging at the curve at his back foot).

But sports, too, are fun. Sometimes. When you live in Boston or go to the University of Florida. But also when you can spend 12 hours on the couch Saturday in October and watch endless college football while the only conversation you have with your significant other includes the key words "beer," "nachos," or "more."

We've been fighting with our girlfriend for the last two and half years. (Not actually. We've only been dating for two. HEY-O!) Much of it stems from not having enough time to give her all the attention she very much deserves. A lot of it is because we watch the Giants struggle to pound out four hits for three hours. Priorities.

So, what are your most common reasons for fighting with the missus? Your domestic problems (and ways to deal with them) in the comments, please.

8 comments:

rstiles said...

When I was engaged, watching sports was one of our biggies when it came to fighting...she wanted me to go over her parents and listen to her mom bitch about something instead of watching the Sunday Night NFL game...

The key to this story was the word "was"...I am no longer engaged so I don't have that problem anymore...

Anonymous said...

Married last year, no real change. I just can't stand shelling out dollars to buy two tickets to a sporting event only to have the Mrs. complain that it's boring (she said that at the Super Bowl) and ask to leave early (every baseball game we have ever gone to.

The Solution: I just dont bring her to games. I simply take a friend, which does start the fight about me drinking too much at every game. But hey, nobody's perfect.

Bokolis said...

I'm happily divorced, am rarely home because I moonlight at a job where I essentially get paid to watch sports and I play co-ed football (soccer, to you cunts) with markedly younger birds who lead the post-game charge to the bar. I'd say I've solved all my problems.

Something I didn't learn until after I hit this side of 30: NEVER give a woman what she wants when she asks for it. Even if you want to do it for her, make her wait just for GP. Once a bird thinks she's got you jumping through hoops, you are D-O-E-N done.

Along those lines, at some point (for another conversation), you're going to have to let some sports go, but you shouldn't give up sports for the bird (but make her THINK you did after the fact).

There is a happy medium. You can get her into one team (maybe two) if your team has a hot guy on it. If you insist on watching stupid shit like 12 hours of college football, basketball, NASCAR, etc., on the weekends when your bird wants to do stuff, you're just asking for shit.

JMC said...

what do we fight about? everything.

what do I do about it? obviously I haven't figured that one out yet.

HM said...

Fighting with my wife (of 17+ years). Never fight about watching sports (though she believes I should watch less golf).

Generally I fight with my wife because she thinks I am a lazy sack of shit and never do any chores around the house. I deal with this by.........sitting there and taking it?!?!? I don't know. It just continues to piss her off, but we may have reached the point where I am Bill Clinton to her Hillary -- she has put up with too much to go anywhere now.

My wife, by the by, will watch the Minnesota Twins lose 14-0 for 8 straight nights. She LOVES the Twins.

Josh said...

the trick is getting your girlfriend in your fantasy football league

then she WANTS to watch!

i'm a genius

Anonymous said...

You have a "girlfriend" ???? I didn't comprehend anything after that statement....

Anonymous said...

Knowing more about sports than they do when you're the girl in the relationship. When dating, it's a turn on. When in a relationship, apparently it makes the guy feel like he's lost his manhood.