Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How do you watch an important game?


Had a big discussion a few weeks ago about how to watch a game that really matters. Being a Giants and Washington Huskies fan, I haven't had to worry about where or how to watch an important game because the Giants score less than than the Red Wings and the Huskies no longer play football.

Nonetheless, I have witnessed important games as a sports fan. The Giants played in the World Series in 2002, the Huskies played in multiple NCAA Tournament games and the UW football team went to meaningful bowl games once upon a time.

Having the discussion, it came up that one of my buddies loves to drink during games and wants to watch around others rooting for the same team -- like at a bar. Even if it was Game 7 of the World Series and his team was in it, he would drink and party and try to have a good time.

Not me. If I'm watching a very important game -- let's take Game 6 of the 2002 World Series as an example -- I would (and will) pretty much sequester myself with maybe my dad and brother in a room and watch nervously, quietly and certainly soberly.

If there's a big-time game, I want no distractions. I don't want to be fucked up, I don't want some asshole "fan" jinxing it and I certainly don't want random people interrupting my watching.

There is nothing fun about watching an important game. There is nothing fun about leadoff walks, silly turnovers or terrible fouls. If the team wins, it's a relief more than anything; I can then go have my fun. But the event of watching a tense or important game: not fun. It's just a necessity of my life.

I was a college freshman during the 2002 World Series. I would watch the WS games in my door room with my brother and that's it. I told my roommate that he wasn't allowed in the room. He didn't like that. He secretly wanted to kill me. Closing my door during a precious time to meet new friends was so secondary to watching a very important game the way I prefer to.

Now your turn. How do you watch your team's important games? Locked away by yourself? Surrounded by loyal fans? At a bar? Don't give a fuck as long as you're drinking beer served by waitresses who have no business NOT having sex with you during the game? Please explain your way of life in the comments.

9 comments:

rstiles said...

I'm with you...when I watch an important game I want to be in my own home with no distractions...usually it is just may dad and myself...

During the Michigan-Ohio State game, I usually take the phone off the hook this way I don't get any distractions...

In big games, I hate being around a crowd at a bar or drunk people...afterward, that's a different story...

rstiles said...

I go up to Ann Arbor at least 3 times during the football season to watch the Wolverines...I will tailgate, but I don't drink any booze...

If I am paying good money to watch my team play, I want all my senses...there are times to get loaded and this is not one of them...I usually end up downing like a 24 pack of Diet Coke...

GM said...

Couldn't agree more. I usually watch big games with no one. Once in a while I will have some friends over but I avoid casual conversation unless it is halftime.

GMoney said...

I sit by myself and drink only water. I want all of my faculties. I want to throw shit. I want to dance like a retard.

cgb said...

I have to disagree. I like being plenty buzzed throughout a big game. That way if we win I'm only a couple of drinks away from a drunken celebration and if we lose I'm only a couple of drinks away from bed.

Anonymous said...

i like watching big games with my firends, as long as we're all rooting for the same team and no one there is that guy that doesnt know anything bout sports and asks stupid questions the whole time.

Bokolis said...

It depends on the degree of importance. I get paid to watch ball games and there are always others around. I have a select pool of people with whom I'd watch a very important game.

But, for the biggest of games, I have to watch alone. Two reasons: I'm hyper-analytical and it's a vicarious thrill for me. I live in the game, figuring what I'd do in that situation. I'm sure many do the same, though maybe not to my self-absorbed degree.

That said, I don't see how anyone gets to watch the Super Bowl alone.

Mr. Ace said...

Wow, I might send this out as a memo to all my friends.

I watched the Eagles/Vikings playoff game this year with a friend who was neutral, I am an Eagles fan. It was okay, but only because I knew we would beat the Vikings. The next week we had the Giants and he text me and said he was on his way over. I called him and told him to turn around because I'm not letting his ass in the door. Watching important games alone is the only way to go. I hate other people being there, and I can't imagine anybody can really enjoy watching a game with me that I care about. I curse every other word. Break and repair my remote 5 times throughout the game. And am usually a bad break away from a breakdown...see NFC Championship game.

There's nothing wrong with a couple beers. But I'm just talking about a couple, not 12 before the half.

Ryan said...

College football? Love to be at the game. Nothing better. Basketball I want to be alone. Important pro football games I'll watch with one or two friends who are actually watching the game. Hockey I want to watch alone. Baseball, most importantly, I will watch in any condition, but under no circumstances will I listen to it on the radio.