We aren’t big on putting vinegar on our chips like some are (Brits, namely), but Stephen Parrotte and Brian L. Marquiss were intent on it April 24 of 2003 when they were attending a Suns game at Municipal Stadium -- a Class A affiliate of the Nationals.
Turns out the concession stand didn’t have vinegar, but was stock full of oven cleaner which they received on their fries instead.
The Hagerstown men claimed they suffered serious, permanent injuries to their mouths, throats and digestive tracts from ingesting sodium hydroxide that a Hagerstown Suns concessions worker poured from an unmarked plastic jug.
We’ve mistaken an “unmarked plastic jug” for vinegar on a number of occasions. It can happen to anyone at any time. You really should mark your plastic jugs; let this be a lesson to you.
The dousing was inadvertent, thankfully, but a lawsuit was filed nevertheless. And sure enough, the plaintiffs won! The ruling came down Monday, but terms of the settlement weren’t released.
We sort of hope a lifetime supply of vinegar-scented oven cleaner was part of the deal.